Wednesday 11 November 2020

In Remembrance...

They shall grow not old,
as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them,
or the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
                                        ~ Laurence Binyon

Battery Sergeant Major Edwin Hampson..Royal Artillery (24th Siege Bty.) killed 14 April 1917 age 42...my great Uncle.
Final resting place..Achiet-le-Grand Communal Cemetery Extension, Pas de Calais, France.
His name is inscribed with those of so many others on the lych gate of St Marys Church in the small Welsh village of Ruabon that was my home..
Thank you for your sacrifice..

Forever Grateful....

We Will Never Forget

Phoebe x

5 comments:

  1. God bless your great-uncle! Thank you for your service, sir! *salute*

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right...we will never forget. My paternal grandfather, Edwin Mullineux, was in the British army in WWI. He can home injured. My father, Another Edwin Mullineux, was in the British army for WWII. He was captured at Dunkirk. He escaped the Germans and made his way into German occupied Belgium. My mothers family owned a small grocery store in Asplare Belgium and hid British and American soldiers in their attic so they could gain strength and move on. My father was one of those soldiers. My grandmother, in her 60's, was put in prison for helping the Belgium underground. My father was recaptured and held in German prison camps for 4 years. His ankle and jaw were broken during that time. After the war, he returned to Belgium and married my mom. My hubby served in Vietnam during the 1960's. I'm truly thankful and grateful for all our veterans. Patty (Mullineux) McDonald

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful tribute and a beautiful resting place!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grateful to all who made the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom.

    ReplyDelete