Thursday 19 November 2020

Fourteen Years...

Today is the anniversary of my arrival in the US .. one of the happiest days of my life. But its also a poignant day

It is fourteen years since we lost the kindest, gentlest, funniest man I have ever met...and who I am proud to call my Dad and today my head and my heart is filled with so many memories of my childhood
Growing up he never raised his voice or his hand to me or my brother.. and always had a wink for us if we ever got in trouble. I remember the night mum sent me to bed without dinner.. very unusual for me to ever get into trouble (Miss Goddy Two Shoes me). I cant remember what Id done..but I do remember dad sneaking into my room.. with a slice of bread and piece of chicken.. putting it on the edge of the bed.. whhispering "shhhhh" and tiptoeing back out
He filled our world with laughter.. sometimes without even trying. Like the time we were on an annual family holiday.. this time to Pontins Holiday Camp (and when I say family I mean my grandarents.. and lots of aunts, uncles and cousins) We were all going horse riding... and as dad swung his leg over the horse ..it put his head down and dad did a somersault onto the ground.. and we caught it on cine film!! My grandad was hysterical with laughter.

He was a friend to every one he met. It seemed he couldnt go anywhere..whether it was walking to the village shops... standing on the station platform in Birmingham..or on holiday in Newquay Cornwall... without someone greeting him with a cheery "Hello Ray!" and talking for half an hour. It amazed my mother beacause she didnt know anybody!..
He worked hard..at one time a stonemason..and then onto a job he loved on the railway. He left  home very early in the morning..but I always tried to get up to say goodbye. I remember walking into the dimly lit kitchen where he sat at the table eating his breakfast..and polishing my school shoes! He was artistic.. could turn his hand to anything.. and had a shed down the garden filled with bits of wood and wire and jars of old nails and screws "Just in Case"! He could fix anything and had a unique way of starting his little car when it broke down.. one time on top of a mountain. "Just rock it" he said
He faced his cancer and stroke head on with bravery and strength..and beat it... but when it returned two years later... he missed my recently deceased mum so much he had no heart to go on. When he died... the church in our little Welsh village was filled to over flowing. A fitting tribute to a real gentleman who was genuinely loved by so many
He was an amazing Dad..Gaga.. Brother.. Uncle..and Friend. The pain of losing him has dimmed..but for the memories and love for him still shines brightly. And I think of him often..

Sleep soundly Dad... Until We Meet Again

All my Love Always xx



2 comments:

  1. What a sweet Dad you had! My Dad passed away today in 2006, I miss him terribly every day! Great pictures and memories to cherish forever. Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful tribute to your sweet Dad. I'm glad you have such great memories of him.

    ReplyDelete