Thursday 24 October 2019

In the Kitchen ~ Zucchini Chips and Stew

This week I was given more Zucchini from  a friends garden. It will be the last for this year... and I am so grateful for the amount she has given me over the Summer. I have bags of it grated in the freezer to make bread... along with chopped ones for soups, stes and stir frys. So I thought I would try something different... so I got out the trusty dehydrator and made some Zucchini Chips.  Salt, Pepper and Vinegar.... and Garlic Parmesan. They turned out really well.. very flavourful..and no calories. Win! Win! Win!

For the remainder... yesterday I made a very healthy ...and flavourful stew. It was the first time... but we really enjoyed it and will be making it again

Zucchini Stew



1-1/4 pounds bulk Italian sausage
1-1/2 cups sliced celery (3/4-inch pieces)
8 medium fresh tomatoes (about 4 pounds), peeled and cut into sixths
1-1/2 cups tomato juice
4 small zucchini, sliced into 1/4-inch pieces
2-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1-1/2 to 2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3 cups canned whole kernel corn, drained
2 medium green peppers, sliced into 1-inch pieces
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup water
Shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese



  • In a Dutch oven or large saucepan, crumble sausage and cook over medium heat until no longer pink; 
  • Drain. 
  • Add celery and cook for 15 minutes; drain.
  • Add tomatoes, tomato juice, zucchini and seasonings
  • Bring to a boil. 
  • Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. 
  • Add corn and peppers
  • Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
  • Combine cornstarch and water; stir into stew. 
  • Bring to a boil; cook and stir until mixture thickens. 
  • Sprinkle with cheese.
Love and Hugs
Phoebe x


4 comments:

  1. You really are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your stew sounds delicious. I hope you don't mind, but I copied the recipe for my daughter. Thank you for sharing. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man! That stew sounds good! I’m cooking a pot of beans today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy options for zucchini! I love having it in the freezer for bread, cake and casseroles.

    ReplyDelete