Thursday 3 October 2019

In The Kitchen.. Potatoes..Squash... and Honey Applesauce Banana Bread

Its been a nother productive week in the Kitchen. Some veggies are really cheap right now so I have been chopping and freezing them for soups and stews again. Celery, turnip and carrots are now safely stored.. along with some Butternut Squash which will make a beautiful soup in a few weeks.
I have even kept the seeds. They are drying and I will hopefully plant them in the near future
I also came across a 10lb bag of potaotes for $1.99. So my dehydrator has come in useful again. A few weeks ago I slced them ready for scalloped or au gratin. So this time I cubed them..ready for soups. 
Just a note here.. I have been told that dehydrated potaotes dont make good mash... so I need to do some research  on that..
Can you believe that the 10lb of potatoes that filled the dehydrator... actually only filled 2 and a half quart jars? Much easier to store and will last for a couple of years


I decided to try a new recipe this week. MrD still wanted Banana Bread..but wants to stay healthy for his surgery. This bread has honey and applesauce instead of sugar & oil. It also uses wholewheat flour instead of white. But...I have a confession to make... I only had one cup of wheat flour left.. cos I made scones  and didnt realize it was the last bag (I confused the packaging)..so I made it up to the full two cups with white. It still turned out really nice... and MrD loves it. And thats all that matters

Honey and Applesauce Banana Bread


2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar free applesauce (I used my own homemade)
3/4 cup honey
2 eggs, beaten
3 mashed overripe bananas

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). 
  • Lightly grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
  • In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. 
  • In a separate bowl, mix together applesauce and honey. 
  • Stir in eggs and mashed bananas until well blended. 
  • Stir banana mixture into flour mixture; stir just to moisten. 
  • Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
  • Bake in preheated oven for 60 to 65 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean. 
  • Let bread cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.
Enjoy!

Love and Hugs
Phoebe x

No comments:

Post a Comment