Thursday 10 October 2019

In The Kitchen~ Meatloaf Meatballs..

I had a good report from the oncologists yesterday the other day. The cancer is staying away... phew.. Its always a relief to hear a doctor saying it.. even if you feel it within yourself.

However.. the blood tests showed that Im a bit anaemic. My iron and B12 levels are very low. Its no biggie.. I just have to eat foods high in these vitamins... and take a supplement. I guess cancer is still doing its best to cause damage. At least that explains why Im so tired all the time. I guess I will have to start eating more fruit and veggies



Mr D says he thought it was because Im getting old.. cheek!!





Meatloaf Meatballs

MrD and I love Meatloaf..something I discovered when I moved to the States. I do my own twist by making the mix into meatballs. Its easier for portion control so we are not tempted to eat the whole meatloaf between us..lol. So this week I made a batch for the freezer.. By portioning into bags.. its easier to grab and go.



1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
1 large egg
1 sleeve ritz crackers, crushed
1/3 C. diced onion
1 small carrot, grated
1/4 C. ketchup
1 tsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. oregano


  • Mix everything together in a bowl.
  • Divide the mixture to form 25 meatballs.
  • Place on a baking sheet lined with tinfoil or parchment paper
  • Freeze... then place in Ziplock bags

Here's the recipe I will use them in...

Meatloaf Meatballs with Bacon & Mushroom Gravy

Chosen amount of Meatloaf Meatballs
5 pieces of thick cut bacon, chopped
2 T. butter
2 C. sliced mini bella mushrooms or button mushrooms
1/4 C. all purpose flour
2 C. beef broth
1/4 C. milk
salt and pepper to taste


  • Bake in a 375 degree oven for 25 - 30 minutes.
  • Remove and cover with foil while preparing the gravy
  • Fry the chopped bacon until crisp in a skillet
  • Remove the bacon and leave 2 Tbsp. grease in the pan. 
  • Add the butter along with the mushrooms and cook for about 3 minutes. 
  • Stir in the flour to combine and cook for 30 seconds. 
  • Stir in the broth and milk. 
  • Bring up to a boil and cook till it begins to thicken. 
  • Lower the temp. to medium and season with salt and pepper to taste. 
  • Add the meatballs to the skillet and stir to coat in the gravy. 
  • Cook for 5 minutes to warm through the stir in the bacon just before serving.
Love and Hugs
Phoebe x

No comments:

Post a Comment