Wednesday 14 August 2019

Wednesday Medley...

Today Im joining Wednesday Medley hosted by Terri over at Your Friend from Florida.
The questions usually start with the National Day and follow on from there. 
There are no rules and there is no obligation....just a bit of fun.

Today's National Day is VJ Day celebrating the Victory over Japan in WWII
Here are Terri's questions and my answers...


1.  I'm sure many kids today have no idea what V-J Day is all about.  Did you have a loved one who fought in WWII?
Uncle Frankie
My Uncle Frankie served in the UK RAF (Royal Air Force)during the war.. I remember the stories he used to tell both funny and sad. I also lost two uncles. Uncle George was a Sgt in the RAF and was shot down and killed over Prussia aged 22. He left a pregnant wife and is buried in Hanover War Cemetery, Germany. Uncle Frank Dobbins was a Sgt in the Anti-Tank Regiment of the Royal Artillery and was killed in North Africa also aged 31. He left a wife and young son..and is buried in Dely Ibrahim War Cemetery, Algeria


2.  The iconic sculpture from the famous photograph of  "The Unconditional Surrender" has been defaced recently because of the #metoo movement. I know we can get very political about this subject, but just keeping it in the spirit for which it was created, what are your thoughts?
I hate to see defacing of any kind.. so I don't like this. I know this sculpture was based on an iconic photograph taken at the end of the war. I don't think many of us know what it is like to live through the fear..pain and loss of a war.... and the joy and relief when it ends. It was a different time..emotions were running high...and no one really knows what was going on in this couples heads I have my own views on the whole Metoo movement.. but I think I will keep them to myself
3.  Terri's grandson, Tristan, loved playing a game called "Axis & Allies".  It was quite complicated, took up the entire dining room table, and was not something Terri wanted to play (Grandpa understood it and played though).  Can you name three Axis countries and five of the many Allies
 I should know this as I studied WWII in High School. I am fascinated by the past..hence the the genealogy.. and wishing I lived in a different decade. I know the main Axis powers were Germany ..Japan and Italy. Allies included the UK.. the US.. Canada ..France and Australia
4.  Terri was surprised to learn that most historians agree that WWII began when Germany invaded Poland on September 1, 1939. Others say it started when Japan invaded Manchuria on September 18, 1931. And some scholars suggest WWII is actually a continuation of WWI, with a break in between.  Have you ever visited Pearl Harbor in Hawaii or any other WWII memorials around the world?
Achiet-le-Grand Cemetery
I would love to visit Pearl Harbour.. maybe one day. When I was a teenager..as part of my school studies.. we went on a trip to France, Belgium and Holland. Seeing the battlefields, cemeteries and war memorials affected me deeply.. especially the visit to Anne Franks house. I was also privileged to visit  Achiet-le-Grand Cemetery where my great great uncle Edwin Hampson was buried after he was killed in the First World War. It was very moving. Nazism and all  its atrocities should never be allowed to happen again

5.  Calvin Graham was only 12 years old during WWII when he enlisted in the U.S. Navy. He won a Bronze Star and a Purple Heart before the Navy found out how old he was.  (God bless him.) Terri doesn't know any 12-year old today who could qualify or get away with something like that.  Times are so very different now but (in the US) we do have ROTC in high schools.  Do you know anyone who started in ROTC and went on to enlist in one of the services?
12 years old.. is very very young. What a remarkable achievements...but if I was his mum..I would very proud..and very very cross. I had to Google ROAC as we dont have it in the UK. But there are Army..Sea and Air Cadets that 10-18 year olds can join...not run by schools.. that follow the Military principals 
6.  Please tell us something about your week so far.

Its been a quiet week so far. Its given me a chance to go walking every morning.. and stitch in the afternoon. Right now.. Im finishing some Christmas aprons
Those were great questions
Now Im going to enjoy reading other peoples answers

Love and Hugs
Phoebe x

4 comments:

  1. My uncle was in WWII and was the only survivor of his battalion after being in the battle of the bulge.
    I think defacing that statue is terrible. They can speak their peace without destroying other peoples property.
    Cute fabric for the aprons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for joining the Medley today and sharing your family stories with us. I agree with you on #2 and have my own thoughts on the subject, better left in my head. I LOVE that Christmas fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such heartbreaking stories of your relatives who served in the war. My mother's dad was killed in the war also. I adore your Christmas aprons. I hope you enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember the neighborhood celebrations we had when WWII ended. That's the year I started school. As for the defacing properties, I think it is shameful. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete