Thursday 1 August 2019

Study...Shopping... and Spuds

Its been a full day..It started with the weekly Study Group at the park.
Im really loving the book we are reading "Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World"... its easy to read... and hard to put down.

I havent been for a while.. but on the way home me friend and I popped into a local Thrift Store. I always look for teacups and saucers for my collection...but I hardly ever find any. Today  was no different. But... all the books were priced at $1..so I came away with...
full of  great recipes.. and... 
which I actually owned in the Uk and I left behind...
a couple of plates that I thought were cute.. 
great for my Fall display..and a bargain at 50c each...
And finally.. a couple of baskets..for a $1 each..
and again for my Fall decor
By the time I got home.. my dehydrator had done its work... and  today I was preparing potatoes. As you may or may not know...I hate waste...and to me throwing away food is like throwing away money. I had some potatoes that I knew were going to turn.. so out came the trusty dehydrator. 
Yesterday morning I peeled and sliced them... 
and put them to soak in a bit of water with a squirt of lemon juice
In the afternoon I brought a pan of water to boil and blanched them for about 5 minutes...
 before plunging them into iced water.. 
then draining and placing in on dehydrator trays
It takes at least 15 hours...so I let it run over night.. 
until I got back from my travels.. and put them in jars
Ideal for soups, stews and potato au gratin

Eat your heart out Betty Crocker.. lol

Love and Hugs
Phoebe x

5 comments:

  1. That's a really good idea to use the dehydrator to save things that are just about to go off. I don't like wasting things either! 😂💙

    ReplyDelete
  2. That book sounds like a great one! I still love to hold a cookbook in my hands and purchase them often at the thrift store too:) Those potatoes, lots of work but you will sure enjoy them this Winter. Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow sounds like a great idea for the potatoes. I don't own a dehydrator but maybe I should! : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good bargains!
    You are brilliant to dry your potatoes like that. It will save you lots of work later!
    I'm enjoying your family pics on the sidebar - such a good looking family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your thrift store finds... I haven't been very lucky there lately. What a good idea for your about to turn potatoes!

    ReplyDelete