Thursday 20 August 2020

Hot Time in the Kitchen..and Meringue Cookies...

Its been another busy.. and hot week in the kitchen. Having water boiling in your canner .. your dehydrator running .. baking...or standing over a hot pan stirring preserves is not really conducive to 100 degree weather. But we are now on Day 20 of the Every Bit Counts Challenge...and apart from the heat... its been really enjoyable. Plus...my pantry and freezer are looking pretty full.

Im still working with Gifts from the Garden... sale items... and coupons..so costs are pretty low. Also..Im teaching myself new skills.. and there are quite a few others on my list. Who knew that I would be making my own bread instead of buying from the store... and I have a recipe that is so quick easy.. no knead ...and cheap. If you would like it let me know.
Anyway.. this week.. amongst other things.. 
I have dehydrated and frozen blueberries... 
prepared carrots for the freezer...both chopping for soups..
and shredding for carrot cake.. 
and baked bread and  banana bread. 
 And yes ..it is baking in a casserole dish...
and no its not dirty..its just flour burning on the outside..
 and it does wash off.
We had spaghetti for dinner on Monday so I made a crockpot full of Bolognese sauce
 and froze the leftovers for an extra four meals.
But yesterdays prep should have come with a warning.. I nearly died during this!! Ok ok a bit dramatic but a note to oneself... next time you blitz dehydrated jalapeños and pink Himalayan salt together in the blender.. to make hubby’s favourite condiment.. Jalapeño Salt...  wait a few minutes for the dust to settle before opening the lid and peeping inside. Result...streaming eyes and burning throat lol. Also.. don’t breathe when pouring into the jar.... Definitely not tears of joy! Will I ever learn???
But Hey!! I think I just found another use for my covid mask!!
I also made my first ever Lemon Curd. Absolutely delicious.... and not wanting to waste anything.. used the leftover egg whites to make some crispy.. chewy Meringue Cookies. They look a bit funky... but I couldnt find the piping bag... so I used a sandwich bag with the corner snipped off. Doesnt affect the taste...so..what the heck!

Here's my recipe

Meringue Cookies


6 egg whites
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 pinch salt
1 tsp vanilla

  • Set oven to 200F. 
  • Line baking sheets with baking parchment
  • Separate the egg whites one at a time into a small bowl
  • Transfer each white to the bowl of your stand mixer. or a bowl and hand mixer 
  • Add salt to the bowl then begin mixing on low and gradually increase the speed to high.
  • Once the egg whites have frothed up you can begin SLOWLY sprinkling in the sugar. 
  • This step makes a big difference in your final meringues so take your time and add the sugar in gradually. 
  • After the sugar has been added it’s time to beat in some vanilla.
  • Your meringue is done once it has a thick marshmallowy texture and can hold a nice peak.  
  • Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a large star attachment or with the tip snipped off.
  • Meringue will lose consistency if it sits around for a while
  • Pipe your meringues allowing at least an inch of space between each for airflow.
  • Place on the center rack to bake at 200 for about an hour 
  • Then turn the oven off and keep closed for an additional 1-2 hours. 
  • The meringue cookies are done when they're are dried throughout. 
  • You'll be able to lift them off the baking sheet and they will feel very light and dry.

Love and Hugs
Phoebe x

5 comments:

  1. WOW... you are ONE BUSY LADY! Have a blessed day dear friend, you deserve to kick your feet up and take a break from all the work! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those meringue cookies and have made them quite a few times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I give in and buy a dehydrator, it's your fault! :) Do you just put them in a sealed jar? Also, I would love to have the bread recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are certainly keeping busy and learning so much! Good for you! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meringues look so yummy i can never make them. Spavhetti is my fave x

    ReplyDelete