Saturday 14 March 2020

Stop It! Just Stop It!!

Well.. I can say that Coronavirus is here...and one of the apparent side effects is it makes people crazy!!

To me the scariest part of this ordeal is not the virus.. its not the spread..and its not even the death rates (one is one too many) But it seems the word pandemic turns ordinary people into animals!


So from tomorrow .. after suggestions from my oncologist... hubbyis putting me on home lock down  My immune system is rubbish right now.. and although I feel fine... and am taking steps to improve it.. we dont want to take any chances. So no walking...and even the Fitness Room is closed.


So today we decided to take one last shopping trip before I isolate. Hubby needed work shirts.. we needed a couple of house goods.. and we were going to do our weekly shop. Plus we needed to check the mail at our old place and hubby needed some papers from work. As is our norm... we left home early to get to the supermarket for when it opens at 6am.. planning as usual to get in and out fast and home before the day is totally wasted

We passed a few supermarkets on the way to our nearest Walmart.. and I noticed even at 5.45am.. carparks were full... but didnt really think about it. As we approached Walmart.. we could see a line of people..on the sidewalk ahead... three people wide with trollys. Getting closer I was gobsmacked. The line stretched all the way from the main entrance in two directions..across the car park and around the block. There were at least a couple of hundred people waiting in the rain. As he turned the truck around.. hubby said "Well Dear... I guess we will find out how well your prepping plans pan out!"

We found a Stater Bros near where we used to live..and the car park seemed reasonable and there were no queues. So we gave it a shot. The lines... as we found out were inside the store.. at the checkout.. with every register open.. with staff trying to cope with the overflowing shopping carts and irritable customers. As my son... who works in a British Supermarket says.. he feels like hes part of the band on the Titanic.. continueing to fiddle while everyone else panics!

"I'll get the deli meat says hubby.. you get your veggies.. and dont forget bananas and eggs (he loves his eggs for brekkie).. then we get out of here!" Well I manage to get carrots.. onions and radish...but no bananas. And no eggs!!! Just aisle after aisle of empty shelves


As you know.. I dont have a problem with prepping.. I think its smart. As my son said.."mum you have been preparing for this day since we were kids...even when people thought you were mad!" But can someone tell me why..right now.. people need to stock up on 5 years of toilet paper... baby wipes... bananas... AND EGGS?? (poor Hubby) Fighting over a pack of kitchen paper.. and in some cases pulling a knife... is just insane! Its the panic thats creating the shortages. People were just filling their carts with anything. Im guessing the guy in front of us at the checkout really loves canned tongue. Maybe thats why he bought all the Siracha. The shelves will be refilled. But I do worry

I worry about the people who live pay check to pay check who just want to stock up for the week and cant even get the basics. I worry about the elderly.. the most vulnerable.. Will they go hungry?

Be cautious.. be prepared.. but be compassionate. Check on your elderly neighbours that they have enough supplies... and try leaving something on the shelf for other people.

Stay safe.. stay well... and most of all... Stop Panicing!!!

Oh.. how I wish I had a couple of chickens

Love and Hugs
Phoebe x

No comments:

Post a Comment