Friday 13 March 2020

Doctors Orders...

I hope everyone is doing good in these concerning times..

There is a lot of misinformation and media hype out there about what we should and should not be doing during this Coronavirus Pandemic.

As you know I had a meeting with my oncologist this week and he gave me a few pointers on how to cope with the fear of getting sick. I was talking to some friends on Facebook.. and commenting on a few posts and was asked to share what I was told.

Remember this is not my opinion... not what the media is telling me but came from a cancer doctor and before a lot of information came out

The first thing he did was refuse to shake hands.. he gave a jokey elbow bump and even an awkward foot tap..which he failed at miserably..lol. So I said... " So Coronavirus Dr Phan... should we really be concerned." His simple answer.. "Yes"


He said... wash your hands often.. keep away from crowded places, no air travel and eat to improve your immune system. The problem is... you cant tell who has the virus...as people have it before they start coughing and spluttering. Children dont seem to be ill with it but they are carriers. They contract it..take it home and pass it onto the most vulnerable.. ie the elderly and those with low immune systems. This is why schools are talking about closing..as they are breeding grounds. It seems that most of us have already been in contact with someone who has the virus


Washing hands and good hygeine should be a no brainer...especially after coughing and sneezing and get rid of used kleenex into a lined bin. Dont stress about hand sanitizer..soap and hot water for long enough and often enough should do the trick.. although taking some with you when you are out..plus some anti bac wipes for shopping carts etc is a good idea. Also wearing disposable gloves is a good idea

At home, clean work surfaces and door handles often.. and dont forget your computor keyboard, tablet and phone. And keep anti bac by your front door for when you enter.


Shop for enough food to last one maybe two weeks To me that could be expensive.. but stop taking little trips to buy a loaf of bread... or a bag of chips. Buy foods that will help your immune system.(see pic) I myself would suggest you buy powdered milk.. bread mixes.. canned soups etc

And if you do get sick.. stay home!! Isolate yourself from other family members.. wear a mask.. and phone your doctor...dont just turn up to a crowded waiting room.

So this is what I was told. Im sure as days go by we will learn more. The main thing is dont panic!

For me right now... no gym.. no church.. no walking (its raining anyway).. and still hoping we can fly in July. But I really hope this resolved soon and Im praying for those affected..

Stay well.. stay safe... and stay calm

Love and Hugs
Phoebe x

No comments:

Post a Comment