Thursday 19 March 2020

Navajo No Fry Flatbread.. and a Little Rant!

How is everyone coping out there? Its a very worrying time..especially for me when I think of my children so far away. As a mum you never stop worrying about your babies.. no matter how old they are..

So I have to get something off my chest. This panic buying is causing me great concern and annoyance... especially because I have young grandchildren. Not because there is a food shortage.. the supply is still there.. but because of people being totally inconsiderate and selfish.. They are taking more than they need and leaving empty shelves. This gives a knock on effect of more people panic buying.. because they are scared of being without.

For Goodness sake people... calm down.. take what you need for now... and only your share... and give supermarkets time to get their deliveries and restock!! Its not rocket science.

I had a sleepless night..and when I did doze off... I had  nightmares.. because my daughter was driving round late last night looking for bread..paracetamol and nappies (diapers) with no luck. Come on people..!!

Ok ...Rant over!

Any way.. back to this weeks recipe

In this time of bread shortage.. I had it on my heart to share this alternative recipe for the Famous Navajo Frybread..Created over a centuary ago it has recently become the official state bread of South Dakota.

Its very quick and easy to make and can be made ahead and kept under a flour towel or frozen for later use.You can use herbs in the mixture. Or even brush with butter and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar before serving.

Remember ..These are NOT fried like the traditional Navajo bread.. but a bit healthier

Navajo No Fry Flatbread
adapted in 2010 by Navajo chef Walter Whitewater,


2 cups flour
1 - 1 1/4 cups of lukewarm water
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tablespoon oil/butter/or shortening

  • Mix dry ingredients together and add most water and oil of your choice,
  • Mix and add water until it has the consistency of tacky pizza dough.
  • Knead for a few minutes.
  • Let rest in greased bowl for 30- 60 minutes.
  • Divide into 6 pieces and roll out on floured surface thin. (Tortilla thickness)
  • Heat griddle to 350F.
  • Cook until golden brown spots and flip, cooking until done.

I hope this helps....

Stay well..stay safe... stay calm....

and I still cant get eggs!!

Love and Hugs
Phoebe x

No comments:

Post a Comment