Thursday 21 November 2019

Thanksgiving Prep and Christmas Cranberry Apple Jam

After an unexpected early morning jaunt with Hubby to deliver some boxes machine parts and pick up a very nice pumpkin spice latte it was back to the grind. The thunder and hailstorms we had yesterday and over night had finally stopped... and it was nice to see blue skies agian. 
I must say though... this morning was decidedly chilly. I even wore a cardigan... which... with my hot flashes..is quite unusual.
But Im glad as its feeling less like the eternal Summer... and more like Fall.. very appropriate for the Holiday Season. Although... I think it will be a while before the heating goes on... 
The push for the pre Thanksgiving "Big Clean' is almost over... and once again Im left wondering... why do I do it to myself? I tell myself that its because the day after Thanksgiving the Christmas decorations are going up and it will save me some time...but I know darn well that the mop, bucket and dusters will be out again in a couple of days. I must say tho.. there is great satisfaction in everything in its place, sparkling and smelling clean and fresh. And I love it when its all done. Does anyone else go cleaning crazy before the Holiday seasons start?

The Thanksgiving recipes are out and this week there is an unbaked Apple Pie in the freezer and I have made this years supply of Christmas Cranberry Apple Jam.. I have used this recipe for many years. This time I doubled this recipe so I could give a couple of jars as gifts. The jars were processed in the canner so we will have plenty to last us possibly til next Thanksgiving
Christmas Cranberry Apple Jam
(this recipe can be doubled...just as I did)
This recipe is so quick and easy. The jam is not too sweet..not too tart..and absolutely delicious with your Thanksgiving/Christmas Turkey. Its also lovely on toast, bagels or served over cream cheese as a dip
Both apples and cranberries are naturally high in pectin, so you won't need any additional pectin to help this jam set, as long as you cook it until thick and syrupy.
12 oz. pkg. fresh cranberries
2 medium (sweet) apples, peeled and diced
1 1/2 Cups sugar
1 Cup water
2 Tblsp honey
1 Tblsp butter (helps reduce foaming)

  • Combine the apples, cranberries, honey, sugar and water in a large pot (use a big one, this jam will bubble) 
  • Over high heat. bring to a boil
  • Add butter
  • Cook for 10-15 minutes, until the cranberries pop and the apples soften
  • you can use a potato masher if you prefer a smoother jam
  • Simmer until the liquid in the pot begins to thicken 
  • Ladle into sterilized jars, wipe rims, apply lids and process in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes. 
  • Label nicely and store in a dark place or distribute to those you love.
  • Any unpopped jars will keep in the fridge for 2-3 weeks
Love and Hugs
Phoebe x


3 comments:

  1. Your recipe sound yummy, so I copied it to give to my daughter who does a lot of canning and makes her own jams, etc. She makes a cranberry apple butter that is soooo delicious. Thank you for sharing. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was pretty warm around here by me today in the 40's.
    Can't say that I get in a cleaning frenzy before the holidays. It can come over me any time of the year!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Christmas jam looks like it would fit into our Christmas meal perfectly ( instead of regular cranberry sauce).

    ReplyDelete