Wednesday 21 June 2017

Warts and All

Its a week since my Porta cath was put in...and the day before chemo #3


Its been an uncomfortable week...and here is a bit of a TMI warning. You may wish to skip the next paragraph. 


For the first couple of days after the surgery I was totally exhausted and slept most of the time....and that was ok. But dear Lord...I hadnt expected the agonizing constipation chemo and other meds bring. Stool softeners.. laxatives.. bran cereal...gallons of water and copious amounts of prunes are not helping. I remember Dad suffering like this...and I was determined not to be the same..yet here I am. Saturday was the most painful day of my life for a long time. Sorry if this is too much info.. I promised I would tell all...warts and all...and as you can see...it isnt all plain sailing. And I dont always greet everything with a smile. But...lets move on.
Today I took my dressings off for the first time to check my wounds. They are healing nicely...especially the top one which you can hardly see ( I circled it on the photo, just in case you are interested) 
The port feels quite strange and I dont even really know whats going on in there...just the port disc is attached to a catheter tube which enters a large vein. . Having a small, hard alien object under the skin is quite something to get used to. Im not sure what I expected. For some reason I kinda thought the port would be open somehow and the chemo needle would just be attached. But its under the skin so I guess I will still be stabbed...but no more fishing around for a viable vein. Im really tired of needles...but it could be a lot worse.


The incisions and surrounding areas are still a bit sore...especially around my collar bone. My neck vein seems to be a bit swollen and tender...I find it hard to look up or turn my head cos it all pulls. I will be asking a lot of questions tomorrow.

So all thats left for me today is to take my extra steroids ready for tomorrow...and psych myself up

Thanks for listening 

Love and Hugs
Phoebe x

No comments:

Post a Comment