Tuesday 13 June 2017

Change of Plan

So.. my meeting with Dr Phan yesterday didnt go quite as planned...and I wont be having my chemo today. My blood count is fine...but my veins are rubbish. He says my veins wont take it and there is a possibility that the chemo may leak...which could be painful as it burns. My arms are still covered with bruises from my last treatment three weeks ago and from my blood tests. Instead.. I will be going into hospital at 7.30 tomorrow morning to have a porta cath put into my chest..then I will have my chemo on Thursday. The surgery and stay will take about 4 hours... I hope they knock me out... lol 
Again I have a little fear of the unknown as I dont know whats going to happen and if it will hurt but I do know there are lots of you out there that have had it done..so maybe you can tell me of your experiences.


As I understand it though...a 3cm incision will be made in the chest and a pocket will be made under the skin into which a disc known as a Port will be placed. From there access is gained to the vein in the neck via a small incision. I will be able to have all my chemo and blood tests through this port.. so no more feeling like a pincushion
One little concern I have...is from what I have read..and what Dr Phan said.. I can have my chemo next week..But Nurse Sue..who is in charge of all the chemo treatments said I can have the it the day after. I guess I will be asking a lot of questions tomorrow.

Have a great day everyone....and dont forget to wear your Teal!


Love and Hugs
Phoebe x


No comments:

Post a Comment