Friday 26 July 2019

Fire... and Ice

Friday morning is my grocery shopping time. I usually walk to the supermarket for when it opens at 6am  I time it just right for hubby to pick me up on his morning break when he heads home to swap the truck for his motorbike. He says hes still too sleepy going to work at 1.30 in the morning to ride his bike

I love going out that early. At just light..its still quite cool. Im telling you as soon as the sun makes an appearance.. temperatures shoot up . Its not really the heat that gets me...its how strong the sun is on my skin.. It feels like its on fire and I burn so easily. It seems to be worse since I had the chemo last year
I always manage to get a few photos on the way though... and makes the whole shopping thing less of a chore
By the time I got back it was already getting very warm...and by the afternoon it was in the mid 90s. My little kitchen was even warmer as I decided to deal with the leftover zucchini from making the bread yesterday.
With the Ac on full blast and the ceiling fan spinning I sliced the zucchini and plunged them into a pot of boiling water..bringing it back to the boil for about two minutes
Then I plunged them into a bowl of ice water to stop them overcooking. Honestly.. I could have plunged in there myself.
After draining them... I spread them on parchment covered baking sheets and popped them in the freezer for a couple of hours.. And yes I lingered slightly at the open freezer door...enjoying a bit of the icy blast
When they were frozen I put them in bags and put them into the freezer. You dont have to blanch them..but I find it takes some of the moisture out and they stay firmer when you defrost to use

A few more bags into the Food Storage... and enough for a few meals

Love and Hugs
Phoebe x



5 comments:

  1. I've never heard of blanching zucchini before freezing it, but it makes sense. Hope you are getting some cooler weather now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Early morning is the best time for lighting when taking photos. Your flower shots are so pretty!
    Nice to have that zucchini frozen too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Friday morning is my day to do the grocery shopping too. The specials of the week start Friday and I like to get them before the stores run out. You have a great plan arranging things so your hubby can pick you ( and the groceries) up and take you home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know the feeling. I basically stayed in water for a few days because the weather was so hot. Looks like you had a good day though!💜

    ReplyDelete
  5. We don't have a special day for shopping. We go when we run out of food. : )
    Good to get your walk in before those HOT temperatures!

    ReplyDelete