Wednesday 8 June 2022

Sunshine..Sunflowers and a New Structure...

As the garden is growing beautifully...MrD decided to make my life a little easier. He is quite ingenious and here is the latest creation in the Blue House Garden we have been working on... My daughter says I now have my own little allotment... and its like a poly tunnel...without the poly..so rain and sun can get through... but not the pesky grasshoppers and birds.
Its made out of rebar..pvc piping and bird net. The frame went up quite easily.. but the net was a right pain. I think it had been cut badly and wasnt the size advertised. But its done now.. and no more liftining the nets on individual beds... I can just walk in and work at my leisure. He made it just in time methinks. When I opened the blinds this morning... four huge blackbirds were perched on top of the structure... drooling over the baby veg. No free breakfast for them today! Thank you MrD
One more thing... the sunflowers have opened and they are gorgeous! They are loving the sunshine...especially as the tem todayis hitting 95F/35C. What a scorcher!
But why is it...that after all these years... I realize that sunflowers have more that one head! In fact.. these have got them budding right up the stems!
What was I thinking??

Love and Hugs
Phoebe x

4 comments:

  1. That is such a great idea!
    Your sunflowers are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patty McDonald10 June 2022 at 12:29

    Your pvc frame is a terrific idea. I've already shown it to my husband and he said definitely next year...too late for this year. For some reason, our green beans, corn, and squash plants have been eaten to the ground. What ever got them does not like bell peppers or tomatoes...good for us. I always plant Mammoth Sunflowers and have never had multiple blooms. It must be you planted the right variety to get those flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Genius idea to protect your garden! Love your sunflowers! Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such beautiful sunflowers, I really love the red one, smiles.

    ReplyDelete