Saturday 4 June 2022

Hacks....

Theres a couple of projects and few changes happening in the garden right now..hopefully completed by Monday so I will post pics. Meanwhile my lovely friend Nita posted this tip on her Facebook page.. and it got me wondering. Have any of you got tried and tested hacks that you use in your garden.
 
A new one Ive tried this year was from a homesteading channel I watch "Stivers Homestead". Zac showed us how he cracks an egg..and still in its shell... drops it into the hole he's dug before planting his tomatoes on top. So I decided to try it on my second planting of tomatoes..and tomatillos. Well so far... I think this tip works..Plants B were planted nearly four weeks after Plants A... and they are growing incredibly fast..so I will do it again. Eggs may be expensive right now.. but next year I will hopefully use my own chickens eggs
 
Another tip I use... is to put a banana skin in a jar of water... let soak for about 48 hours... then pour on my plants. It looks like an experiment in a Sci fi movie.. but it creates a natural potassium fertilizer: This nutrient helps your plants grow strong roots, and it also helps enable good distribution of water and nutrients.
So what are your tips...I would love to know.

Love and Hugs
Phoebe x

1 comment:

  1. I follow the Stivers too... love them! I don't put an egg in my tomato holes because of the expense, but I have always saved egg shells (I save them all year), crush them and sprinkle them around my tomatoes. Good for calcium and they also keep grubs away. Another thing I do for tomatoes comes from Jess at Roots and Refuge YouTube channel. She says to take the bottom leaves off the tomatoes (about 12-18 inches). This prevents backsplash when you water or it rains and helps prevent blight. I lost all my tomatoes two years in a row to blight and haven't lost a one since I have been doing this. Good luck with your garden and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete