Thursday 12 September 2019

In The Kitchen... Apple Sauce and Jelly

Its been another busy time in the Kitchen
Dehydrating for the week is done.. 
Can you believe there is nearly 15lb of potatoes in those jars. We will get lots of meals out of them.
The 3lb of carrots dehydrated down to just that small amount in that jar. They look so pretty. 
Taking that optional extra step of blanching them before dehydrating was well worth it as it meant they kept their beautiful orange colour
I was given a small bag of apples... it weighed just over 5lb.. I planned to make apple sauce.
It was a great opportunity to use my new gadget.. which peels, cores and slices. 
Oh my gosh...how did I manage before?? 
So fast.. and it peels wafer thin skin and takes off every bit of edible apple leaving the core
I made and canned Unsweetened Apple Sauce. Ideal to have with chicken( a must in the UK)..use in apple sauce cake... boy! there are so many different recipes
Not wanting to waste anything I made some beautiful apple jelly...
I covered the skin and cores with water to just under the surface
Boiled for an hour.. and strained the juice through a muslin bag
Patience!
For every cup of liquid..
added 3/4 cup sugar and 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
and boiled again til setting point. (220 F)
note.. dont make more than 6 cups of liquid at a time....
After putting in sterilized jars..
I processed in a water bath for 10 minutes..

It tastes just like Toffee Apples!
And finally... my thoughtful MrD has brought me a KitchenAid Food Processor.to make all that veggie chopping so easy. He's definitely a keeper..and Im very spoilt

To make this girl happy...you can keep your flowers and chocolates.....

Who else loves gadgets??

Love and Hugs
Phoebe x

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Phoebe! I have got to get me a dehydrator! I can’t believe how you save every ediblebit of every edible thing! I want to be more like you.i try not to waste food .....but I do. You are an inspiration and I’m going to work at being a better steward.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Linda - You amaze me and inspire me too!

    ReplyDelete