Wednesday 5 December 2012

Auntie Jean's Apple Sauce Cake

More baking today... a family favourite... Apple Sauce Cake, using a recipe given to me by an aunt of mine years ago.
During the summer I was given a glut of apples from friends, especially from my good friend, Mrs R, who supplied me with two big carrier bags and a box full of the sweet smelling fruit.
I peeled , stewed and froze scores of bags ready for pies, cakes and to have with roast pork. Each bag contains 2 cups of the fruit, enough for the recipe.
And with the peelings, I made a few jars of Apple Jelly, which is wonderful as a glaze or served warm with a pudding or ice cream
Now all I have to do is get the bags out of the freezer ready to use

 Apple Sauce Cake

I like to use a sugar glaze using just icing sugar and water. If we are having it hot as dessert, I glaze the top with apple jelly

This recipe can also be divided into muffins, and a cup of shredded apple can be added to the mix to make it a bit different

1 1/2 cup (6oz) margarine or butter
1 1/2 cups soft brown sugar
3 eggs
2 3/4 plain flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp nutmeg
3/4 tsp cinnamon
2 cups applesauce
  • Cream together butter and sugar
  • Blend in eggs
  • Sift together the dry ingredients
  • Add to creamed mixture, alternating with the applesauce
  • Beat after each addition
  • Divide into two greased 8x4 loaf tins
  • Bake for 50 minutes, 180C, 350F
  • Leave to cool for 10 minutes before removing from the tins
Love and Hugs
Phoebe x

No comments:

Post a Comment