Saturday 13 July 2024

Saturday July 13th

Working  my way through my 1940s  recipe collection... it was a breakfast with a difference this morning. Mock Fried Egg.. a rationing recipe from World War 2. 
Basically its an egg set in some lovely, crispy fried bread... and I thoroughly enjoyed it

Mock Fried Egg


This World War 2 breakfast recipe comes from the Ministry of Food leaflet number 11.. one of the many leaflets designed to help housewives feed their families during rationing. 
1 egg (fresh shell egg or reconstituted dried egg)
2 slices wheatmeal bread
salt and pepper
dripping
  • Beat the egg.
  • Cut holes from the centre of each slice of bread with small scone cutter.
  • Dip the slices quickly into water and then fry on one side (I used bacon grease) until golden brown.
  • Turn on to the other side, pour half the egg into the hole in each slice of bread,
  • Cook till the bread is brown on the underneath side.
  • The bread cut from the centres can be fried and served with the slices.

After breakfast I went out into the Victory Garden to see what I could harvest... 
I picked some lovely bell greens... peppers, zucchini and a cucumber
and some luscious blackberries to put in the freezer with others I have already picked
in the hope of making some delicious jam in the Fall
We also got a clip of Little Tufty saying what we've been longing to hear

We are a very proud Nana and Grandpa..

Love and Hugs
Phoebe x

No comments:

Post a Comment