Thursday 12 December 2019

The Package....

Well..Im sad and speechless... and this was not the post I was going to write today. In the five years I have lived in the US this has never happened before...
I always look forward to the Christmas parcel my kids send from the Uk. It contains cards..gifts..pictures from the grandbabies and silly little things I miss from home..
This morning it arrived. We had been concerned cos it was taking longer than usual..but we put it down to the time of year. For the first time.. it was damaged...and taped up again. It had obviously been opened by US Customs and Border Protection. I called my family and on a joint Facetime link I opened it.
The box inside had been opened..and not resealed.. even though the gift card clearly said do not open til Dec 25th. All the Christmas cards inside had been opened. 
The main gift inside had been ripped open and the contents were revealed. They had obviously all been taken out and just shoved back in without care or after thought... the wrapping paper used to cushion the items.. just pushed in a corner
My family...especially my daughter and daughter in law.. were clearly upset... and there were a few tears.
But.. the upside is... apart from a few smashed food items.. the most important things to me were not damaged... the cards and the picures of my grandbabies. And what they couldnt tamper with is the unconditional love, good wishes and blessings contained in the parcel. And at least the parcel I sent to the Uk...which coincidently arrived this morning too... arrived in one piece
I am not an angry person... Im just saddened. I know these things have to be checked.. but seriously... I think whoever did this box... was either thoughtless or had no heart.. and didnt give a damn. I hope he or she has a very Happy Christmas 
Love and Hugs
Phoebe x

6 comments:

  1. That is just such a sad commentary on the inspection people. There's absolutely no excuse for what they did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so sad.....That person must have a Grinchy spirit. Perhaps they will find joy if we pray for them. I love your sweet attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so sad. I'd say whoever did that has issues. I'm glad most of the things were ok.
    I send a package to my son and DIL in KY every year. Of course customs is not involved, but I'm always glad when it arrives safely. His arrived today and all was ok.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry that this happened:( Someone didn't understand or care how important the contents of the box were. It seems there can be care taken while still doing their job to make sure it is safe. Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder why the package could not be checked with xray machines? There is no excuse for this type of damage. I understand that some airlines are doing this to suitcases too. What's the point of locking them to keep your belongings safe if they are rifled through? Too many grinches. I'm glad that your photos at least were unharmed. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man... your package made me cringe. But yes... that's pretty much the attitude of workers, especially when they know you have no real recourse against them. It does remind me of when my friend in Canada used to send packages back and forth - often with little gifts of candy or food treats to trade as we had different food available to us on separate sides of the border. Imagine my surprise when not only was my package from her opened, inspected and thrown back together haphazardly, but I was officially warned with some legal letters that I would be fined if I did not register as a "FOOD IMPORTER AND EXPORTER". Needless to say our little surprise friendship packages ended after that.

    ReplyDelete