Thursday 5 October 2017

Thrift Shop Find... and Butternut Squash Soup

As you may or may not know.. I dont drive over here in the US. I'm used to chugging around little towns and villages and pretty country lanes. I'm not comfortable driving on the 'wrong' side of the road...plus Los Angeles drivers are crazy!! I get nervous crossing the street cos I STILL look the wrong way. So.. I walk everywhere...unless hubby takes me. I dont mind as I always find things to photograph.. but that means I only have access to one Thrift store.. Goodwill..although I do find it over priced and apart from clothes..there is not much there. Imagine my surprise when I popped in earlier this week and found this pretty dish. Ok ...I know its the wrong time of year..but its perfect for Easter. I just love pastel colours and just look at the bunnies cute face. Not bad for $2
But...Spring is a way off and the weather here in California has been a little cooler... but I know it probably wont last. For a couple of days I've been fancying some homemade soup.. so Im making my favourite Butternut Squash. Its the recipe my mum used and I've made it lots of times over the years. Its quick.. easy.. freezes well.... and delicious. Perfect for my lunch today.

Butternut Squash Soup


1 large butternut squash
1 medium onion
1 lb potatoes
1 3/4 pints vegetable stock
Knob of butter
Olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
Coriander leaves to garnish (optional)

  • Chop the stalk and flower off the squash and peel. Cut in half, scoop out the seeds and cut into 1 inch cubes
  • Peel and chop the onion and potatoes
  • Place the butter and a little oil in a saucepan and melt on a low heat
  • Add the onion and stir until softened, but not brown
  • Add potatoes and stir well
  • Add squash, stir well and then cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally
  • When potatoes have softened, add stock and simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are soft
  • Blend to a puree and serve
Love and Hugs
Phoebe x

7 comments:

  1. I love browsing thru thrift stores. That is a very sweet dish at a great price. Your soup looks very delicious. Thank you for sharing your Mum's recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Phoebe~

    I've been to Loa Angeles, and I can vouch for the traffic...I would walk as well.

    I love thrift stores, but I too think that most of them are way overpriced. I really think the little dish you found is adorable, it will be cute displayed for Easter.

    Your Butternut soup sounds delicious, a perfec5 meal for a cool, fall afternoon. Thanks for the recipe!

    Hugs,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. That bowl is so cute! Nice find! And the soup sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the little bunny bowl! It's so cute and for two dollars!!
    I first tasted butternut soup in a restaurant and have since made it myself but I'm the only one that likes it so I don't bother often.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That dish would go nice with my bunny things.
    I got a spaghetti squash to try.I Do love butternut soup.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Phoebe I was wondering where you lived and now I know. LA makes me nervous. We visited there once about 12 years ago and while I loved the weather, I was not a fan of traffic. My husband did all the driving while we were there. Love that cute bowl and the soup looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would never be able to drive in Los Angeles. Never. I don't even drive in our cities here (which are small indeed in comparison). Walking is scary enough!

    The soup looks wonderful! I have made a much simpler version which starts with the frozen pureed squash, and it's good too.

    ReplyDelete