It was so nice meeting up with an old friend for a coffee and a natter this morning ....its been a while. Whilst we were in Starbucks...I noticed their gingerbread all nicely sliced and delicious looking and I thought....hmmm I know what Im going to bake this afternoon.
Its not quite your traditional gingerbread...no molasses...and it has apple sauce and sour cream in it...but it was always a winner in the family. You can also top it with some crystallized ginger.... but I didnt have any.
Gingerbread with Cream Cheese Frosting
1¾ cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ tsp. ground cloves
2 teaspoons ground ginger
½ tablespoon fresh ginger, finely grated
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup white sugar
½ cup butter, softened
½ cup apple sauce
½ cup sour cream
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- I like to line my 9x9x2 baking tin with parchment paper but you can just use cooking spray
- In a medium bowl whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugars together.
- Add eggs one at a time and mix well.
- Add the apple sauce and sour cream.
- Add the flour mixture slowly mixing well.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 40min. or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes and then remove from pan, cool completely on rack.
- For the frosting, beat the cream cheese with a hand mixer until soft and light.
- Add the vanilla and slowly add ½ cup of icing sugar at a time and blend in.
- Spread the icing on top of the cake and decorate with the candied ginger.
Love and Hugs