Thursday 2 November 2023

In The Kitchen ~ Frosted Chocolate Drop Cookies

This week is flying by. My 'Big Clean" has also become a declutter and I've already sent a couple of boxes of clothes to Goodwill. I did find time to do a little baking. Hubby wanted some chocolate cookies so I pulled out my Christmas Cookies Booklet from The Electric Company Home Service Bureau, 1944

These are nice soft cookie, not too sweet but with that hint of chocolate and the crunch of walnuts. My MrD said they are a perfect cookie to have with coffee. Now the recipe says to bake for 15 to 20 minutes, but for my oven that was too long..and the first batch started to catch slightly. For me 10-12 minutes was perfect.
They can be eaten as they are, or with a sprinkle of powdered sugar... but of course we had to try the whole thing. I must admit..I was a bit distracted while making the icing and it was a bit thick.. but my "Cookie Monsters" enjoyed them that way. Next time I will make it a bit thinner.


Frosted Chocolate Drop Cookies


½ cup butter
1 cup light brown sugar
1 egg
2 quares /2 oz unsweetened chocolate
1 ½ cups cake flour
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup chopped walnuts
¼ cup evaporated milk
¼ cup water
1 tsp vanilla

Frosting
1 ½ squares/1 ½ oz unsweetened chocolate
1 egg yolk, slightly beaten (can add extra tbsp of evaporated milk instead)
5 tbsp evaporated milk
1 ½ cups powdered sugar
  • Cream butter, add sugar and blend well.
  • Add egg, beat until light and fluffy.
  • Melt chocolate
  • Cool
  • Add chocolate and blend well.
  • Sift dry ingredients together; add nuts. 
  • Dilute evaporated milk with water.
  • Add dry ingredients alternately with milk to creamed mixture. 
  • Add vanilla.
  • Drop by tablespoons onto greased or parchment covered cookie sheets. 
  • Bake at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes, or until puffed and springy in the center.
  • Spread with frosting while still warm.
  • For the frosting..Melt chocolate and cool slightly
  • Stir in egg yolk (if using) and milk into melted chocolate
  • Add powdered sugar slowly until consistency to spread

2 comments:

  1. These look delicious! I am bookmarking it

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look delicious! I like that they are not overly sweet, and will indeed go well with coffee or tea. Have a cozy day!

    ReplyDelete