Thursday 23 December 2021

In The Kitchen ~ Candy Cane Crinkle Cookies..

The Festive Season is underway at the Daso House... and spirits will rise in a couple of hours when MrD finishes work for Christmas. We have lots to fit in a few days..some last minute shopping..hot chocolate and viewing some Christmas lights tonight... and a drive up the mountain and a church carol service tomorrow
I have already opened one gift from my daughter... on her insistance... and shes absolutely right. This is me to a tee.
Im working my way through Christmas movies...and my baking is now completed.. 
with a Lemon Iced Gingerbread...
Candy Cane  Crinkle Cookies...
with some Chocolate Crinkle Cookies as an alternative.

All absolutely delicious....


Candy Cane Crinkle Cookies


Before coming to the US.. I would never have used a Cake Box Mix... but seriously... they make the best cookies and are a super simple recipe to throw together!  This recipe uses a Devils Food Cake Mix... and with some added ingredients come out fabulous. I also like to fill the "thumbprint" with chocolate chips for an alternative.

1 15.25 devils food cake mix
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons fat free cream cheese
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon peppermint flavoring
24 mini candy canes, crushed

  • Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  • Place 24 mini candy canes in a freezer bag and crush with the back of a spoon.
  • In a microwave safe mixing bowl combine butter and cream cheese 
  • Microwave for 15 seconds, stir.
  • Repeat until butter is melted and cream cheese is soft.
  • Add cake mix, stir well.
  • Add eggs and peppermint, stir until forms a soft dough.
  • In a small mixing bowl combine powdered sugar and cornstarch, mix.
  • Drop dough by teaspoonfuls (a small cookie scoop works well) into powdered sugar; 1 at a time
  • Roll dough to coat, remove and place onto an un-greased cookie sheet.
  • Press thumb into the center of each cookie, making a large indent.
  • Fill with crushed candy canes.
  • Bake 9-10 minutes, until cracked. 
  • Let rest 1 minute on pan, sprinkle center with additional crushed candy cane if desired, 
  • Remove cookies to cooling rack.
Love and Hugs
and a very Happy and Yummy Christmas

Phoebe x

3 comments:

  1. The cookies look delicious, I'm so looking forward to indulging in a mince pie or two, and a tipple of Sherry on Christmas Day. My grandma owned the local bakery in my hometown for thirty six years, you would have been welcomed as an assistant baker I'm sure.
    Have yourselves a lovely Christmas, and a Happy New Year, I hope that 2022 is a more gentle one to us all.
    Hugs,
    Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. my oldest girl and I are allergic to cream cheese otherwise these look amazing!! I do have a classic Christmas Crinkle cookie recipe i use though but it calls for 4 eggs and we are now mostly plant based so I followed the Vegan Chocolate Crinkle recipe and they came out AMAZING! NO fat involved other than the coconut oil. And only pure cocoa......i'll have to try some cake box recipes for cookies that don't require cream cheese....

    thank you for visiting my blog and I'm glad my post was encouraging to you.

    Have a very MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound so good. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete