Thursday 7 March 2024

In the Kitchen ~ Peanut Butter Apple Crumble

Im still working my way through hundreds of recipes from the 1940s. Hubby and I are really enjoying them... and they seem to be packed with flavour... even the more weird ones.
This Apple Crumble recipe from Better Homes and Gardens Magazine, September 1948 is a twist on the original and has peanut butter in the topping...only a 1/4 of a cup but it made a difference to the flavour. 
Also, the recipe calls for 2 1/2 cups of sugar in the topping, Even the thought made my sweet tooth go Eeeek!! So I dropped it to a good cup of brown sugar and it worked well for hubby and me
Absolutely delicious.. especially served with some of creamy custard (any excuse)

Peanut Butter Apple Crumble

5 apples, pared and sliced (about 3 cups)
cup water
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
3 tablespoons en- riched flour
3/4 cup quick- cooking oats
2½ cup brown sugar
½ cup peanut butter
2 tablespoons butter or fortified margarine
Original Magazine Illustration
  • Arrange sliced apples in baking dish.
  • Sprinkle with water, lemon juice, and cinnamon.
  • Combine remaining ingredients; mix well.
  • Spread on apples.
  • Bake in slow oven (300°) about 50 minutes.
  • Serves 6.
Better Homes and Gardens Magazine
September 1948

3 comments:

  1. Hello! I love this idea of baking from old recipes! I actually wish I lived back then. Thank you for sharing this, and for the idea of using the brown sugar instead of all that white sugar. Have a cozy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will admit it does sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so delicious but I'm with you on decreasing the sugar. Brown or not, it's too much.

    ReplyDelete