Thursday 6 December 2018

Its Beginning to Smell a Lot Like Christmas...

Its been a busy couple of days. All our presents for the UK are wrapped and ready to send... the cards are written and our home is looking very festive. The weather has turned chilly here in California.. and it rained all day yesterday..and more is forecast for today. With the Christmas lights shining and my baking underway.. it all looks and smells very cosy and inviting
Yesterday I made the great British Christmas staple....Mince Pies. Mr D loves them... especially when the are still warm from the  oven. He had never had one before we were married...now its an annual tradition. Now.. in the past..I made my own mincemeat..(recipe here) but I have found that for the amount I need.. this shop bought jar is quite acceptable...especially with a couple of additions. I also make my own sweet crust but shop bought pre rolled pastry works just as well...but  tastes slightly different

Mince Pies 

Pie crust dough (enough for two crusts) or 
Homemade using the following recipe:

2 1/2 cups / 350g plain flour
Pinch of salt
1  cup /225g butter, diced
tsp sugar
1 whole egg
Cold Water
1 Jar of Mincemeat
1 orange, juice and zest
1 apple, finely diced
Dusting icing sugar


  • Heat the oven to 400°F/200°C/Gas 6
  • Place the flour, butter and salt into a large bowl.
  • Rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs
  • Stir in sugar,
  • Add the egg to the mixture and using a knife stir, 
  • Add cold water a teaspoon at a time until the mixture binds together.
  • Roll in cling film and chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes
  • Meanwhile add orange juice, zest and apple to mincemeat and stir well
  • Choose a muffin or bun tin for the size of the pie you want.
  • Dust a work surface lightly with a little flour and roll out two-thirds of the pastry to 1/8"/3mm thick.
  • Cut circles to line the cups of your tin.
  • Fill the pastry lined tins 2/3 full with mincemeat.
  • Roll out the remaining pastry to the same thickness and cut smaller circles to fit as lids or cut out star shaped lids to be decorative.
  • Lightly brush the tops with milk or an egg wash.
  • Bake in the preheated oven for 20 mins or until golden brown.
  • Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the icing sugar.
For an extra special treat...serve warm from the oven with a drizzle of cream...or a dollop of Brandy Butter
Love and Hugs
Phoebe x



8 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I haven't had mincemeat pies since I was a kid; brought back so many good memories of the holidays. My mom made them in large pies, but I like your small ones better. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love mincemeat pie and it's my favorite holiday treat! I make my pies with 'None Such' mincemeat, it is so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neither of us cares for mincemeat but I could use that pastry recipe for Butter tarts!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love mince pies and when we were in Scotland one year, we attended Christmas Eve services at church and they served cider and mince patty pies after. Still a delicious memory!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the recipe. I've copied and will try it. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are not fans of mincemeat so these would be lost on us. It sure looks like your pies are perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We aren't fans of mincemeat here either, but they sure are cute!
    I love the smells of Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Phoebe~

    I love mincemeat! I bought a jar of it just yesterday at the store and was planning on making cookies. Maybe I should make mince pies!! They look yummy!

    Hugs and Love,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete