Wednesday 17 August 2022

I've Been Thinking...

I've been thinking..

Can you believe its been nearly eight years since I left the Uk for the USA. It was a bit of a culture shock to begin with... and I find Im doing things completely different...

For example... I dont put the rubbish in the bin anymore.. I take out the trash. I no longer walk on the pavement...Im on the sidewalk. No more driving on the motorway.. Im on the freeway.. and no more queueing...Im standing in line.

And dont get me started on shopping... I shrunk two dress and shoe sizes as soon as I stepped off the plane...nothing to complain about... but who serves corn with fish and chips?? Where are the mushy peas?? 

And as for veggies... I no longer get an Aubergine... but Eggplants are in abundance (much to MrDs disgust!)... and Im happy that a rutabaga makes a lovely ponchmipe instead of a swede (perhaps only Welsh people will get that reference...)
And in the absence of courgettes.. Im sure this beautiful zucchini from my garden...will taste just as delicious!

Its a different language....

Love and  Hugs
Phoebe x

8 comments:

  1. This reminds me of my dad. He and mom emigrated from England to the US in 1950. He was 31yo. He had so many expressions that , when I here someone on TV or read someone saying something from England, I think of daddy. Mom did not keep her accent!! She didn't want anyone thinking she was a 'foreigner' but daddy had a very thick English accent right up to the end....93 when he passed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The longer I live here...the more I sound like the Queen, Patty. I dont think I will ever lose my accent x

      Delete
  2. And the US is blessed with your presence!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello or should I say Sut mae? I wanted to reach out and say I think we both grew up around Holyhead, as in one of your posts with photographs you mentioned a view of Penrhos & Holyhead mountain (although the photo itself isn’t viewable). I grew up five minutes from this beach and spent many happy hours playing here & in the nature reserve close by. My name is lynne Pritchard, I have two older sisters Helen & Nestwyn ( with red hair) we all went to the comprehensive. My father was manager of Hepworth the gentleman clothes shop in town for many years. We attended Bethal baptist chapel on Edmund street ( painted pink in the 80’s)noooo sure the covent. I am sure we would know somebody in common :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynne.. I was actually born in Wrexham.. and moved to Holyhead in 2006. I worked on Morrisons checkouts (my son still works there) and then for a year before moving here...worked at Fairways Nursing Home in Trearddur Bay.Im sure we do know the same people... including my grandsons family who have the photo shop in town x

      Delete
    2. Hello I think I tried to comment on one of your other posts but wasn’t successful. I’m really pleased to have fine across your blog and think ’ your a very talented crafter and cook. Funny to think we could have passed each other in Morrisons. Also I know fairways very well as a child I was in the house part(
      on the left towards Holyhead) a lot as my brother in laws family lived there and our families were very good friends. Small world :)

      Delete
    3. Thank you, yes it is indeed a small world. Its always lovely to hear from people in Wales. My son still works in Morrisons, and my grandson and his lovely mum..and her family live in Holyhead x

      Delete