Thursday 17 February 2022

New Growth ..and Green Tomato Chutney..

I’m happy to say that even though it’s still a bit nippy… yesterday blue skies returned. I love the rain...but right now Im loving my garden more 
Tuesday…as we say in the UK.. it absolutely chucked it down and it was so cold. Very different to the 87°weather we were getting last week
I’m so glad I resisted the temptation to do a lot of veg planting outside. I must say tho they’re doing very nicely in the seed trays. I have zucchini/courgette, peas, beans and radishes making an appearance. 
But I’ll give it a couple more weeks before I transplant as the colder weather is due to last a bit longer. It all looks good so far. But... I think it’s safe to plant some carrots.. right??

Gosh Im so impatient!


Green Tomato Chutney

Last Fall I made my yearly supply of good old fashioned Chutney... and recently I've been asked for the recipe...so Im happy to oblige...as ingredients are still readily available in supermarkets... even if they are not ready in the garden..

Its an old recipe...and Im not sure where it came from.. but back in Wales I used it for many years and it was the perfect way to use up all those unripened tomatoes, onions and gifted apples (one year I was given over 80lbs). Now I live in California.. so I swapped the tomatoes for tomatillos .. and you know what?? It’s really good!! 

So delicious with cold ham and cheese...a grilled cheese sandwich...and an English Ploughmans Lunch!


1 Kg Green Tomatoes... 2.2lbs or about 6 cups, skinning is optional
1 Kg Onions... 2.2lbs or about 6 cups
150 g Raisins.. 5.2oz or about 1 cup
3 Garlic cloves
1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp Black pepper
2 tsp Sea salt
500 g Brown sugar 2½ cups
1 Litre Malt  or Apple Cider Vinegar..32fl oz or about 4¼ cups

  • Peel, core and chop the apples
  • Chop the tomatoes, onions, and raisins roughly and mince the garlic.
  • Place all ingredients into a stainless steel pan and bring to a boil. 
  • Reduce heat to low and then simmer uncovered for an hour. 
  • Keep an eye on it and stir occasionally.
  • The chutney will turn brown and will have reduced down within that hour's cooking time. 
  • Spoon the chutney into warm, sterilized jars and seal with lids.  
  • There is no need to water bath chutneys...but I do for 10 mins
  • Label the jars when cool and store in a dark cupboard. 
  • Refrigerate the jars once opened
When it's time to eat your chutney, make sure to open a sealed jar at least half an hour before you want to eat, otherwise all you taste is vinegar

Love and Hugs
Phoebe x

2 comments:

  1. That chutney recipe looks so delicious! I like all the little sprouts your garden is growing. Soon I think the cooler weather will be a thing of the past,at least here in Phoenix.

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad your garden is growing!
    I've heard of chutney but never had it. Do you eat it as a side or put it right on the ham...?

    ReplyDelete