Tuesday 1 February 2022

Here We Go...

We have been living at the Blue House for just over six months and its been a learning curve. Its given us time to read the climate which is totally different to where we used to live. I would never have thought it would get so cold... but its been lovely having a (almost) roaring fire in the grate again.
The good thing about the winter is that its shown is where all the gaps are in the garden.When we moved in... the garden seemed private and well shaded. But of course with the falling leaves and plants dyng back... huge gaps appeared especially along the back fence...Its ideal for making repairs but it leaves us very open to neighbours and passers by... and we like our privacy. It also revealed that the neighbours keep roaming rabbits...so its good that we can ensure the fence is in good order.
So..our planting is underway in the first vegetable garden I have had in almost ten years. Its going to be a huge learning curve in a hotter climate... and Im quite rusty. I know there will be a few disappointments. Nevertheless...I have seeds starting in pots dotted around the house...as its still gets a bit cold outside.   
MrD has been working along the back fence.. and for now we have planted a couple of grape vines... ideal for the California climate... or so we have been told. I have never grown a grape in my life so this is quite the experiment. 
Im also trying out a blackberry cutting in a container. Again... something new for me so I hope it works. By the way...blackberries and grapes compliment each other to help keep the pests away....
as is garlic which Ive planted in a couple of containers....and they will go down by the grapes as well.. (Dont worry..I did bury them not leave them on top)
At the weekend  Im going to plant out the seed potatoes I have chitting in the kitchen. The weather is supposed to be getting warmer next week so they should be snug enough

Not a bad start...with more potting seeds on Saturday

I cant wait to eat veggies straight fron the garden

Love and Hugs
Phoebe x

No comments:

Post a Comment