Friday 26 March 2021

Just an Old Fashioned Girl...

Recently.. I have been looking on Ebay quite a bit..and bidding in some of their auctions. Like the old knitting patterns..I dont pay out more than a couple of dollars a week..which roll over to the next if I dont find anything.. I have won some amazing things... and oh...I get so much joy out of them.  Last week I managed to get some china on Ebay for a very reasonable price.What makes these so special for me is that the matching sugar bowl..gravy boat and butter dish are actually from the 1940s so 80 years old..and not a chip on them. I was so excited
I put them in my cabinet along with all the other china I have collected... to keep for a "special occasion" Until MrD said. "You know... you have so many old dishes that would look so pretty on the table..yet you never use them.. why? You say you are saving them up for a special occasion! What special occasion.?? Pretty things are made to be looked at and used for the purpose they are made for. Besides...that special occasion may never come. You love all these old things.. get them out...put them around the house and enjoy them.. Time is passing by so fast...Indulge your passion!"
And you know what...he's absolutely right! If this last year has taught us anything it should be we should live for now..and enjoy it while we are here. When the Lord calls us home... we wont be able to take anything with us...and what will happen to our  'Things' then? MrD and I already live our lives the "old fashioned" way.. I cook from scratch...budget.. preserve food..  and a lot of recipes I use are adapted from or based on recipe books from the the war years  or earlier. We are aiming to move at the end of the year to a house where once again we can grow our own veggies and raise a few chickens. I knit..sew...and mend... and he would rather fix something instead of replacing (unless its a bike of course) We both love vintage things... like cars, clothes, and furniture. And we both have traditional family values.
So..with Hubbys blessing... out come my treasures.. the tea cups.. the doilys... the quilts.. and the ornaments. Im even going to start wearing some of the clothes I pushed to the back of the wardrobe...(when I slim down a bit more) and my beautiful brooches.. earrings and pearls.. some of which my grandmother left me (they still fit!) The television is staying off more.. replaced by my favourite music... and Im going to introduce hubby to the wonders of 30s and 40s movies.

In these crazy times... this is going to bring peace to our little corner of the world..

and enjoy being..

An Old Fashioned Girl

Love and Hugs
Phoebe x

3 comments:

  1. There is no more special occasion than right now, since it is the only occasion we are guaranteed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your husband is very wise! I'm glad he convinced you to use your beautiful treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love old things too, and Mr D is very wise, and pretty sweet too!

    ReplyDelete