Thursday 21 September 2023

In the Kitchen ~ British Wartime Fruit Scones

For the last couple of months almost everything that has come out of my kitchen has been a recipe from my pre 1950s recipe box or my 1940s cookbook collection. I dont know if its because it was the era of rationing due to the second world war, but the majority of the recipes are frugal, and are incredibly tasty, probably because of the herbs, spices and flavourings used to compensate for the lack of quality ingredients.Anyway MrD has been thoroughly enjoying all the dinners, and there hasnt been one complaint. So I think..this the way forward from here...for both sweet and savoury

British Afternoon Tea woudnt be complete without the obligitory scone. This recipe come from Eating for Victory, a collection of Ministry of Food Leaflets from World War 2. It gives three varieties, plain, sweet and fruit. I chose the fruit, and used Golden Raisins..the closest thing to sultanas here in the US.

British Wartime Fruit Scones

The recipe is quite straight forward, and calls for a savoury or sweet sandwich filling. I dont know about a sandwich filling, but I do like a thin spread of butter, or a dollop of homemade preserves.

1 lb. self-raising flour or
1 lb. plain flour and 4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 oz. margarine
A bare 1/4 pint milk

  • Mix the flour, baking powder (if used) and salt together
  • Rub in the margarine.
  • Mix to a soft dough with milk.
  • Turn on to a floured board and roll out to 1" in thickness.
  • Cut into 8 rounds or triangles
  • Put on a greased baking sheet and bake in a hot oven for 15 minutes.
  • Serve hot or cold with a savoury or sweet sandwich filling.


Variations:

Sweet Scones:
Plain scone recipe with 1 oz. sugar added after fat has been rubbed in. 
Proceed as before.

Fruit Scones:
Plain scone recipe with the addition of 1 oz. sugar and I oz, dried fruit added after the fat has been rubbed in 
Proceed as before.



6 comments:

  1. I love to cook from vintage recipes too! I have a collection of handwritten recipes that are very old. Plus old cookbooks! I pick out a cookbook from my collection and use a few recipes for the month before selecting another cookbook for the next month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make a lot of scones, but my recipe has only 8 oz of flour. In Cornwall we would be eating them with jam and cream for a Cornish cream tea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They had self rising flour during WWIi?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dont think so.. I think that measurement is put there for modern day cooks

      Delete