Wednesday 5 November 2014

Off With A Bang

Its hard to believe that at this time in two weeks, I will be in an aeroplane on my way to California. The time is going so fast. There are so many 'last times' I will experience before I go. Last trip on the bus to Bangor, last time I will see snow on my mountain, ....and tonight.. my last Bonfire Night

In case you don't know, every November 5th in the UK, we commemorate the event in 1605, when Guy Fawkes, a member of the Gunpowder Plot, was arrested while guarding explosives the plotters had placed beneath the House of Lords in London. People were so happy that King James I had survived the assassination attempt on his life, they lit bonfires around the city. Months later the introduction of the Observance of 5th November Act enforced an annual public day of thanksgiving for the plot's failure.

Nowadays, November 5th is dedicated to bonfires and  fireworks, with an effigy on Guy Fawkes burned on the fire. As children, I remember making a Guy Fawkes out of old clothes and stuffing it with newspaper, and wheeling it around in an old pram asking for 'A Penny for the Guy'. People would give us money and we would use it to buy fireworks and treacle toffee

Tonight I wrapped up warm and took a walk over to the beach where a lot of people had gathered and a huge bonfire was ablaze. Fireworks were already exploding all over the town

 
Mugs of hot chocolate, candy apples and hot dogs were in abundance. The firework displays were quite incredible and very loud. I'm afraid my pictures don't do them justice

 
I thoroughly enjoyed myself...and as Bonfire Nights go...it was one of the best.

Love and Hugs
Phoebe x

 Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I know all about Guy Fawkes, we just studied him briefly...anyways...I have to smile --aeroplane...here is airplane. I can not wait to read all about your adventures here in America. Blessings

    ReplyDelete