Sunday 9 November 2014

Farewell Fairways


Yesterday as my last day at the Nursing Home. It was the hardest most physical job I have ever done. It was a constant round of washing, feeding and changing diapers for people who are totally helpless. The bending, lifting and hoisting was so back breaking. On some of the harder days, especially after a twelve hour shift, I would be too tired to eat..or even speak

I have laughed...I have cried..and some days I have been stressed and overworked to the limit. But I must say..some moments were the most rewarding times I have ever experienced. Like....

Washing and dressing a lady who has had a stroke and can do nothing for herself, and while you are making her comfortable, she kisses your nose and whispers 'thank you'

Kneeling on the floor in front of a gentleman, putting on his socks and shoes, while he is patting your head calling you his 'Golden Angel'
 
Stroking the face of  a lady whose body is so frail and twisted she is bed ridden..and getting a beautiful smile in return

Seeing someones face light up when you enter the room  and stretching out their arms to you for a hug, just because they are so happy to see you

Having your hand kissed, just because you give a sweet~toothed gentleman an extra scoop of ice cream

And so many more. They are simple things...but have meant so much.

And I will say..my work colleagues were just incredible. Sometimes carers and care homes get a bad press. But, there isn't one person amongst them that I could say dosn't give 100 percent. They made a hard job more bearable. I will miss each and every one of them

I don't know if I will work when I get to California...or if I do, what kind of job I will look for. But whatever I do..I know this last year has been a huge, wonderful learning curve, and I'm ready for anything.

Love and Hugs
Phoebe x

No comments:

Post a Comment