Thursday 26 September 2013

Green Tomato Chutney

Usually at this time of year I make a batch of our family favourite Green Tomato Chutney. As I havent got a veg garden again...yet..I thought I would share my recipe with you, with pictures I took last time I made it

Using tomatoes and onions from the garden, some of a glut of apples from my aunties garden, and what I have in the pantry, I would make a tasty batch of the Chutney. Its so simple to make, as long as you keep an eye on it and don't let it stick to the bottom of the pan. Its not nice to have burnt bits in your chutney. You can vary the ingredients too, adding a little more or less of each, depending on what you have on hand. This chutney will keep for years. Its delicious with cheese, chicken and even on a burger.

Green Tomato Chutney

2lbs green tomatoes, chopped
8oz onions, chopped
1lb cooking apples, peeled, cored and chopped
8oz dried fruit. I use 4oz each of raisins and cranberries
8oz soft brown sugar
1pt cider vinegar
A good splash balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp mustard seed
2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp ground cinnamon

Put all the ingredients in a good heavy based pan

Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat.

Remember to stir occasionally to avoid sticking

Simmer uncovered for 2 - 3 hours, until it has
reduced to a thick pulp 

Spoon into sterilized jars and seal.

To improve the flavour, keep for at least couple of weeks before eating...if you can wait that long 

Love and Hugs
Phoebe x

No comments:

Post a Comment