Friday 3 March 2023

In The Kitchen ~ Bara Brith..

So...yesterday was Saint Davids Day.. the national day of Wales.. My daffodils are not yet blooming... and I couldnt find any in the local stores... so I couldnt let it go by without at least making something Welsh..

Continuing my stroll through my copious amount of 1940s recipes... I decided to make this Wartime Bara Brith (Speckled Bread). It turned out lovely..and MrD couldnt wait to have a slice.

Marry this with a delicious bowl of Cawl ( beef stew) for dinner... I felt like I was back home.


1 lb of self raising flour (I used plain with 5 teaspoons of baking powder)
1/2 pint of tea1 lb of mixed dried fruit (substitute 1/3 rd with finely grated carrot to save on rations)
6 oz of light brown sugar
1 medium egg
1 or 2 teaspoons of mixed spice
1 tablespoon of honey
1 tablespoon or orange juice
1 tablespoon of orange zest ( or use 2 tablespoons of orange marmalade to replace the honey, orange juice and zest)


  • Make 1/2 pint of strong tea and add the dried fruit and grated carrot to the tea
  • Place in fridge overnight
  • The next day mix the honey, orange juice and zest (or marmalade) with the sugar and egg
  • Add that to the fruit and tea mixture
  • Sift the flour and spice into a large bowl
  • Add the fruit/tea mixture
  • Mix until all flour is mixed in
  • Place in two small greased loaf tins or one large one
  • Cook at 160C or 320 F for about 1 to 1.5 hours (use foil to cover if getting too brown)
  • Remove and cool for a while then glaze with honey or a sugar water mix
  • Remove from tin and cool thoroughly before storing in a tin
  • Slice and serve with butter
Love and Hugs
Phoebe x

2 comments:

  1. That bread looks delicious! When I get some oranges I think I will give it a try. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That bread looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete