Thursday 23 June 2022

In the Kitchen ~ Lemon Jelly

The weather is really hot now... touching 100 degrees almost every day. Last night was a funny old night... rolling thunder... amazing flashing lightning that lastest for hours...but unfortuneately not a drop of rain...
But I digress. As you may or may not know.. anything with lemon is a winner for me. So when my neighbour gifted with me with a huge bag of lemons from her tree.. with a promise of more...I knew I had to preserve them.  When squeezed they made a lot of juice
So first things first I made some beautifully clear Lemon Jelly.  A great start to the preserving season and its boosted the sweet goodies my store cupboard.. Plus...as I didnt use all the juice.. more canning is on the cards...
Anyone else started their preserves yet?

Delicious Lemon Jelly


Lemon jelly is very easy to make and this recipe has only four ingredients: lemon juice, water, sure jell, and sugar! It's tart but not too tart that it's unpleasant to eat... and I love it on toast or homemade scones. 


2 cups Lemon Juice..strained to remove the pulp
2 cups water
1 pack of sure gel
4 1/2 cups sugar

  • In a Dutch oven, combine the 2 cups lemon juice mixture and 2 cups water
  • Stir in Sure gel and whisk to dissolve
  • Cook over high heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down. 
  • Continue to boil for one minute
  • Quickly stir in sugar
  • Return to a full rolling boil; boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
  • Remove from heat.
  • Quickly skim off any foam with a metal spoon.
  • Ladle into hot, sterilized half-pint canning jars, leaving a 1/4-inch headspace. 
  • Wipe jar rims; adjust lids. 
  • Process in a boiling-water canner for 5 minutes (start timing when water returns to boil). 
  • Remove jars; cool on a wire rack. 
Love and Hugs
Phoebe x

No comments:

Post a Comment