Thursday 4 May 2023

In The Kitchen ~ Coronation Quiche

It rained again today.. yippee!. Why does that please me so much? Well I know hot, dry, 100 degree temperatures are just around the corner... so Im savouring every moment of the pleasantly cool, wet weather. Plus..like I said before..the garden loves it.
Its the perfect day to spend time pottering in the kitchen. Is there any smell more delicious than that of homemade bread baking in the oven? I love it. Today it was two good loaves of wholewheat bread... one for the bread bin... one for the freezer.
I also made the Coronation Quiche in readiness for Saturdays celebrations. It looks and smells good..but the proof will be in the eating. I will let you know on Saturday! I cant find broad beans here in the US... but Lima or Fava Beans are a good substitute. My British flag is going up tomorrow.. I will be having an early night as I will be up at 1am to start watching the coverage. I know I'm nuts... but Im going to love every second..

Coronation Quiche


For the Pastry:
1 cup flour
Pinch of salt
2 tbsp. cold butter, diced
2 tbsp. lard
2 tbsp. milk
Or 1 refrigerated pie crust

For the Filling:
1/2 cup milk
3/4 cup double cream (thick heavy cream)
2 medium eggs
1 tbsp. chopped fresh tarragon
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
3/4 cup cooked spinach, lightly chopped
1/2 cup cooked broad beans/fava beans
  • For the pastry: combine the flour and salt in a bowl. 
  • Add butter and lard and rub the mixture using your fingers until it forms a sandy texture. 
  • Add the milk, a little at a time, to form the dough. 
  • Cover and refrigerate for 30 to 45 minutes.
  • Lightly flour a work surface and roll out the dough a little larger than your tart pan. 
  • Transfer the dough to the pan, cover, and rest for another 30 minutes in the fridge.
  • Preheat the oven to 375°. 
  • Line the dough with parchment paper and fill with baking beans 
  • Blind bake the crust for 15 minutes 
  • Remove the paper and baking weights, and set aside. 
  • Reduce the oven temperature to 320°.
  • For the filling: Beat together the milk, cream, eggs, tarragon, and salt and pepper. 
  • Scatter 1/4 cup of grated cheese over the baked crust 
  • Top with the chopped spinach and broad/fava beans, then pour in the milk mixture. 
  • Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top 
  • Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until set and lightly golden.
Love and Hugs
Phoebe x


4 comments:

  1. Hello, Phoebe! I so wanted to watch the coronation live, but I've got to work tomorrow. Am hoping I can catch it later. The bread looks delicious and the garden is lovely! Happy Coronation Weekend!

    By the way, I knew I had a lot of Scots in me, but I just recently discovered that I've got a good deal of Welsh in me, too, on my father's side. Am going to start investigating and learning all I can about that side of my heritage, too!

    Blessings!
    ~Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Phoebe, Your bread looks delicious and so does the Quiche.
    I'm not quite as dedicated as you are. I'm recording the coronation and will watch it tomorrow. I'm old enough to remember Queen Elizabeth's coronation although we didn't have a TV so of course I couldn't see it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear. Forgot that Blogger insists I'm anonymous.
    Granny Marigold

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you enjoyed the coronation! You are NOT nuts!!! You are embracing and enjoying your English roots!!!

    ReplyDelete