Wednesday 24 May 2023

And Then There Were Two...

So...When I checked the birds nest this morning.. I could only see four birds..  I thought number five was hidden underneath
They have grown so fast.. and are now covered in feathers. They are so big they are easily visible. I was so afraid they would fall out  of the nest.
This afternoon I was standing at the kitchen window... and had the fright of my life as I saw a fluttering of wings and saw one of the chicks fall. Or so I thought. Before he hit the ground he flapped his wings quickly and like a baby taking its first step... clumsily circled the lawn..landing under the garden bench
I rushed outside to see if it was ok.. and he seemed fine... but I know there are a lot of stray cats around. Wondering what I should do and if it needed rescuing.. I went back into the house and grabbed a box and some gloves...hoping to but it back into the nest before its mother noticed. But... it had disappeared!
I checked the bird cam...and discovered that there were only two chicks left in the nest. I guess without realizing it ... the birds are now fledglings... and ready to 'flee the nest'
Mummy Bird is still feeding the remaining two... but I have a feeling that by tomorrow... all the birds will be gone. Its quite sad really as they brought me such joy...

Its the little things....

Love and Hugs
Phoebe x

1 comment:

  1. Something knocked the roof of our birdhouse right onto the ground and the 5 baby wrens were dead. What a sad way to start my day. I don't think Miss Kitty could have dislodged that roof so it's a mystery to me. Granny M

    ReplyDelete