Thursday 9 February 2023

In the Kitchen ~ Orange One Egg Cake

I havent done baking since Christmas... trying to get rid of the Christmas over indulgence.. but MrD asked if I could make a treat...and I wanted to experiment with something different… So I began looking through my collection of vintage cookbooks
I was given a bag of oranges from our neighbours tree so found the perfect solution in a recipe from the 1940s. During that time.. one egg cakes were very popular. Trying to be a bit frugal, plus a little nostalgic.. and with eggs at $6.50 a dozen at the local supermarket I thought I would give this Orange One Egg Cake a try. I made one for us..and one for our kind neighbour

I must admit that it tastes very good... but its a heavy cake.. dense and very crumbly when first cut... but it did seem to get more moist as days went by. I made a couple.. (one for our neighbour) and both sank slightly, That never happens with my cakes..so mildly disappointing. But otherwise not a bad cake . You could put on an orange icing glaze... but Mr D enjoyed it as is..despite the sinking... especially served with a nice cuppa

Orange One Egg Cake


2 cups all-purpose flour
2-½ tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/3 cup shortening
1-¼ cups granulated sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. grated orange peel
1 cup orange juice


  • Preheat oven to 350 F degrees
  • Grease and flour a greased loaf pan (9 x 5)
  • In the large bowl of an electric mixer, cream the shortening, sugar, egg, and orange peel.
  • Add the dry ingredients alternately with the orange juice, beating well after each addition.
  • Begin and end with dry ingredients.
  • Pour batter into a greased loaf pan
  • Bake at 350 degrees F for 45-50 minutes or until cake tests done when a tester is inserted in the centre
  • Cool in the pan on a wire rack

No comments:

Post a Comment