Thursday 21 October 2021

In The Kitchen ~ Baked Apples..

This week I was gifted a large bag of apples... a real blessng. Eating them fresh is always a pleasure.. but there were far too many so I decided to can some apple sauce....
and make some yummy apple pie filling for the store cupboard.. which ..I must say.. is filling up quite nicely
I kept some of the apples back as I decided to make a wonderful Fall dessert. Its one that I first made 45 years ago at school  but  havent made in a while... Good old fashioned Baked Apples. 


Baked Apples


An absolutely delicious vintage dessert and so easy to make. There are lots of recipes but this is the one I have always used and is  adapted from my 1950s Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook
  • Wash and core some good quality apples.
  • Make a small cut around each one so they split evenly.
  • Place in a baking dish.
  • Fill the centre of each with 1-2Tbsp brown sugar, 1/4 tsp butter and dried fruit of your choice.
  • Pour a cup of water into the dish around the apples
  • Bake at 375 for 45-60 minutes or until tender.. basting occasionally during the cooking time
So simple..but a quick tip. Remember to really pack your fruit in.. because as you can see from the photos..once the sugar dissolves ..the filling sinks.
I used raisins in two..and cranberries in the others.. but the possibilities are endless. Im thinking of making them again before Christmas and filling with Mincemeat and nuts

Love and Hugs
Phoebe x

2 comments:

  1. Yummy! Hey, I have the same casserole dish(s). I hope you are doing well, Phoebe and enjoying your new home, smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember making these in my Home Economics class and a few times as a newlywed. I haven't made them in years... yours look delicious.

    ReplyDelete