Thursday 29 October 2020

Thursday Kitchen ~ and Chipotle Shrimp Burrito Bowls

I hope everyone is well and made it to Thursday without any disasters. I've  had a productive.. and destructive day... as in... I juggled then smashed my favourite casserole dish. But at least I survived the ordeal... and it was just a "thing" and it can be replaced. It was very pretty though

It's been a busy baking day.. Two loaves of crusty bread... two Apple Pie Bread (moist .. packed with fruit and cinnamon.. delicious.. freezes well and uses store cupboard ingredients) and a surprise for MrD.. Baileys Chocolate Chip Cookies. Hes happy cos he knows I wont eat them and so they are all for him. 

Im also going to confess...that in my fifty something years.. I have never cooked shrimp/prawns. I have always shied away from them. Part of the reason could be that 30 years ago.. while on holiday in Newquay. Cornwall.. we took a walk down to the dock and watched the fishing boats come in with their hauls. All along the sea front they were selling seafood and my then husband bought a pot of prawns. I had a taste.. and I suddenly felt so sick... and with the smell of all the fish... I was so poorly. What I didnt know was that I was pregnant and so began weeks of very bad morning sickness. Seriously... who goes off coffee and bacon?? Thanks son!

But this week I relented.. mainly because MrD loves shrimp and made Chipotle Shrimp Burrito Bowls.. And I must say... it was rather delicious.. I was expectiong spicy... but it wasnt at all. So Shrimp is back on the menu

Is there a food you dont eat? Or cant even stand looking at as it makes you feel ill?

Chipotle Shrimp Burrito Bowls

1 lb. jumbo shrimp (approximately 24 shrimp) deveined and peeled
2 tablespoons, plus 2 teaspoons olive oil divided
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice about 1 medium lime
1-2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce finely minced (about 1/-2-1 tablespoon)
1 teaspoon adobo sauce liquid from can of peppers
2 garlic cloves minced
2 teaspoons honey
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Bowls

4 cups cooked rice white, brown or cauliflower
1 15 oz. can can black beans rinsed, drained and warmed
1-2 fresh tomatoes diced or 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
1-2 large avocados thinly sliced
Fresh sweet corn from 2 cobs
4 green onions thinly sliced
1-2 tablespoons finely minced fresh cilantro
Lime wedges for serving

  • Stir together 2 tablespoons of oil and all remaining “Shrimp” ingredients in a freezer size plastic bag or an airtight container. 
  • Add shrimp, seal tightly and turn to coat. 
  • Let the shrimp rest on the counter for 15 minutes.
  • Heat a large stainless steel pan over medium-high heat. 
  • Add the remaining 2 teaspoons of olive oil to the pan and swirl to coat.
  • Add shrimp in a single layer and discard any remaining marinade.
  • Let shrimp cook for 2 minutes 
  • Turn over and cook an additional 1 minute or until they’re pink. 
  • Increase the heat to high for 30-60 seconds to slightly reduce any liquids. 
  • Remove shrimp from the pan when they’re finished cooking.
  • Divide rice between 4 bowls and top with shrimp and other desired Burrito Bowl ingredients. 
  • Drizzle with Ranch or dressing of your choice. 
  • Shrimp can also be served on top of a salad or in wraps.
Enjoy!

Love and Hugs
Phoebe x

3 comments:

  1. Sorry about your broken casserole dish.
    I love shrimp and you meal looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seafood is something neither my DH nor myself will even try. I suppose it's too bad because we live on the west coast and all manner of fresh seafood is available but we barely even like fish.
    It's sweet of you to make shrimp for MrD even though they don't have any appeal to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks amazing! The only food I don't eat is eggplant. and maybe collard greens! Oh, hominy and turnips.....and blue cheese....

    ReplyDelete