Saturday 9 April 2022

Grasshoppers...

A couple of weeks ago I shared that we had got back from three days away and something had eaten all our seedlings. We determined it must have been birds.. even tho there was massive damage in such a short time. MrD threw together some net structures.. I replanted and my veggies are coming on a treat. 
Then today.. these fellas descended on my garden.. there were only four or five of them.. but they were huge!!!! Grasshoppers the size of my plam. As a Brit… I have never seen a real life grasshopper but I know they eat copious amounts… so Im questioning if they did the damage.. not the birds.
Thank goodness the beds are covered.. but I will have to diligent and deal with them as soon as I see them as I don’t want them laying eggs
Birds.. heat.. now grasshoppers.. how does anyone succeed in growing veggies in SoCal?
Gardening at the Blue House is certainly throwing up some challenges

And I hope the birds will forgive me for jumping to conclusions

Love and Hugs
Phoebe x


 






 

2 comments:

  1. Ooh dear, not a good little critter, and yes indeed they will eat sixteen times their body weight in any available.
    Good job you have the nets over your tender shoots and plants.
    ~ Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are big grasshoppers!

    Betty

    ReplyDelete