Sunday 9 June 2024

Sunday June 9th

 The effects of MrDs surgery hit him hard today.. we watched our church service on line and for the rest of the day dozing in and out. He was in a bit of discomfort but thankfully no pain
As he slept. I pottered in the garden for a bit..
Everything is growing nicely
and are almost ready to harvest.

Mr D felt somuch better this evening and requested one of his favourite dishes for dinner... Chicken Cacciatore... which I was only too happy to make and he really enjoyed


Chicken Cacciatore

A delicious chicken dish from the 1949 edition of The Good Housekeeping Cookbook. I have posted the original recipe but I did make a couple of changes
I used chicken thighs instead of whole chickens. I used low sodium chicken stock instead of wine. And I diced the onion and peppers instead of mincing them..to give a bit of a bite. Also, I thought 3 1/4 tsp salt was a tad much so I seasoned to taste

2½-3 lb. drawn fryers, cut-up
6 Tbsp. fat or salad oil1 cup minced onion
3/4 cup minced green pepper
4 minced, peeled cloves garlic
1 No. 2½ can tomatoes (3½ cups)
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
½ cup Chianti wine
½ tsp. pepper
½ tsp. ground allspice
2 bay leaves
½ tsp. leaf thyme
Dash cayenne pepper
3 1/4 tsp. salt
  • Clean, wash, and dry fryers. (chicken)
  • Heat fat in large skillet or Dutch oven
  • Fry chicken in it until golden brown on all sides. 
  • Add onion, green pepper, and garlic; brown lightly. 
  • Add remaining ingredients; simmer, uncovered, 30-40 min., or until chicken is tender.
  • Serve with sauce over it. 
Love and Hugs
Phoebe x

No comments:

Post a Comment