Thursday 3 October 2024

In the Kitchen... Freezer Prep and Sticky Beef and Rice Bowls

I'm relieved that the dockworkers strike has been suspended and I hope they can come to some sort of agreement. I did buy a few extras on my monthly shop ..but not much. For us keeping a good store cupboard is a year round thing. Two things on the possible shortage list were bananas.. and chocolate... the two things that MrD loves.
So... I bought extra chocolate chips... and at 40¢/lb for bananas (the lowest Ive seen for a while) I bought quite a few. When I got home I baked a batch of MrDs favourite Fudge Chocolate Chip Cookies.. and two Chocolate Chip Banana Bread... one for now... one for the freezer. With the remaining bananas, I sliced, and froze some for smoothies... and bagged others for more banana bread at a later date
As its the beginning of the month, we also got our bulk meat supply
which I weighed, separated, cut and individually bagged for the freezer
With some of the chicken I made a Chicken and Vegetable Pie with a Puff Pastry Top
and a Creamy Chicken and Spinach Pie
Both frozen unbaked ready for later baking...
and both recipes will be posted when we have them for dinner


Sticky Beef and Rice

This weeks recipe is one we had for dinner on Monday night. It was so easy to make...and ready to eat in about 20 minutes. I thought I had made enough for leftovers... but MrD enjoyed it so much.. he went back for more (plus he had just worked a hard 12 hour shift and was sooo hungry!) Full of flavour.. with a slight kick from the sweet chili... I will be making it again
1lb Ground Beef
4 Cloves of Garlic, minced
2 tsp Ginger, minced
1 Red Pepper, Diced
1 Onion, Diced
4 Tbsp Honey
4 Tbsp Sweet Chili Sauce
8 Tbsp Soy Sauce
2 Cups Cooked Rice
  • Brown the ground beef, garlic and ginger in a skillet over medium heat
  • Break the ground beef into small pieces until no longer pink. 
  • Drain any excess fat and set to one side
  • Return skillet to stove top and add the sesame oil
  • When hot add the red pepper and onion and saute for a couple of minutes until tender
  • In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, honey and sweet chili sauce
  • Add the mixture to the skillet 
  • Bring to a simmer, stirring until the meat and veg are moistened and glossy. 
  • Add the rice and stir to mix
  • Sprinkle the green onions on top for garnish
  • Serve immediately

2 comments:

  1. Yum...your recipe sounds so good and easy. AND....the bread is definitely something that would be eaten around my place. I am thankful that the dockworkers strike has been suspended. People panic! I try to store up but my big pantry is like a grocery store for my kiddos. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great recipe! Never heard of green onion here at local market. I'll make this rice recipe for dinner. Thank you for sharing :-)
    Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete